Salute A Real… Special Recognition Award
Image Comics-Because of reasons.
5. Go Get A Roomie by Chloe-Still a very entertaining series I check up everyday its updated.
4. Let’s Speak English by Mary Cagle-Found this a short while ago and read it all the way through. A humorous biographical story of an American teaching Japanese grad kids English.
3. Menage A 3 Giz & Dave Zero1-Still a joy to read.
2. Hark! A Vagrant by Kate Beaton-I keep forgetting this exists but I bought the recent collection and loved it as much as the last. Kate Beatons strips are so good.
1. TIE: Octopus Pie by Meredith Gran and Sunstone by Stejapn Sejic-Octopus Pie is An entertaining series about a pair of 20 somethings. I should really buy the book collections. Then of course there is Sejics BDSM romance series Sunstone that I anxiously await each update for.
Favorite Single Issues, Story Arcs & Mini-Series
4. Death Vigil- Stjepan Sejics fun mini series about Death and her soldiers taking on the army of the Primordial Evil. A cool looking, fun mini I hope gets a sequel.
3. Chilling Adventures of Sabina #3 and 4 by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and Robert Hack-If issue 5 had come out it be higher. Sabrina’s sixteenth birthday comes and a tradition must be upheld but Madame Satans plot leads Sabrina BF to the scene of a witches gathering. Things get bad.
2. Shutter #12 by Joe Keatinge, Leila Del Duca, and Owen Gieni-Kate Kristopher to the people screwing with her life: FUCK YOU! I really liked this issue of this great series.
1. Distress and the Damsel from Empowered by Adam Warren-I have written about this one already… But yeah… Very gratifying as a long time fan.
4. Ed Brubaker for Velvet and Fade Out-Both very cool series.
3. Greg Rucka for Lazarus and Black Magick-Lazarus has been my fave Image book and Black Magick has so far been so good.
2. Adam Warren for Empowered-Yeah…
1. Stjepan Sejic for Death Vigil, Sunstone, and Switch-Creating fun comics again and again. (The image says Twitch but the series is called Switch. I believe he did this way before the comic came out.)
Favorite Artists/Art Teams
5. Yusuke Murata (and assistants) for One Punch Man-Wow! This is some insane superhero comic.
4. Fiona Staples for Saga and Archie #1-3-Saga is still one of the best books and the start of Archie was fantastic.
3. Adam Warren for Empowered-Still an impressive looking comic. So good.
2. Stjepan Sejic for Death Vigil, Sunstone, and Switch-Sejic has been on top of his game through the year.
1. Sophie Campbell and Victoria Robado for Jem and the Holograms-I’ve been a fan of Campbell for years and her getting this book up was why I even watched the show on Netflix and then picked up the series.
Top 10 Covers
10. Revival #32 by Jenny Frison-Last year almost half my top 10 covers were Jenny Frison but this is the only one from 2015. This cover might resonate more with longtime fans of the book. I know I was surprised when I first saw it.
9. Betty and Veronica #275 by Adam Hughes-I saw this one while people were criticizing it. I really like it. Sue me. Also, the first time Betty and Veronica show up on the list.
8. Rachel Rising #31 by Terry Moore-This was such a haunting image. Rachel Rising has such cool covers. Hope Moore collects them into their own booklet one day.
7. Barb Wire #5 (volume 2) by Adam Hughes-Another AH! cover. I just love how the lettering works with the perspective. Such a cool cover.
6. Archie #3 by Stuart Immonen-Second time for Betty on the list. A cool cover that I got a big smirk out of when I first saw it. Still makes me smirk.
5. Wonder Woman #41 Joker Variant by Brian Bolland-Interesting trivia, this image is based on a rejected cover for a Wonder Woman issue when Bolland was doing her covers in the 90s. Its still very cool. Bolland is one of my fave artists and definitely one of my fave cover artists.
4. Superman #40 Movie Homage Variant by Dave Johnson-I ordered a shirt based on this image and it still has not been released. I’m pissed off. I want a refund/credits.
3. TIE: Archie vs. Predator #3 by Tim Seeley and #4 by Faith Erin Hicks-I loved all the covers for Archie vs. Predator but these two were the coolest. The mini was pretty good too…
2. Jem and the Holograms #4 by Sophie Campbell-Pizzazz and the Misfits are better than the Holograms. This cover is proof.
1. Vampirella #13 (Dynamite Comics Volume 3) by Mike Mayhew-Mayhew delivered several fantastic Vampi covers but this one is a thing of beauty. I knew this would be my top cover of the year when I saw it and nothings come close for me. Mayhew actually worked on the series before so he knows how to make the Drakulon beauty look good.
Favorite Ongoing Comic Series
6. Tie: Grayson by Tim Seeley, Tom King, Mikel Janin, & Jeromy Cox and One Punch Man by ONE & Yuske Murata-Grayson is my fave mainstream comic book and One Punch Man my favorite manga currently running. Both excellent superhero books. One a spy series with a former superhero set in the DCU and the other a wondrously cool take on the genre.
5. Archie by Mark Waid, Fiona Staples, Veronica Fish, etc.-Only five issues and one of the books I most look forward to. Fun, comedic and dramatic.
4. Jem and the Holograms by Kelly Thompson, Sophie Campbell, Victoria Robado, etc.-I almost skipped this despite my love of Campbells art simply because I don’t care for Thompsons blogs. Seriously. But Campbell being so good is why I checked it out and I’ve enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. It would’ve been higher up if it was Pizzazz and Misfits because they’re better.
3. Shutter by Joe Keatinge, Leila Del Duca, & Owen Gieni-A crazy fantasy series that everyone should check out. The book has gotten better and better as every issue has come out. Del Duca’s art is spectacular even though I didn’t put her in my top ten artists.
2. Lazarus by Greg Rucka, Michael Lark & Santo Arcas-Last years #1 dropped because…
1. Empowered by Adam Warren-I’ve gone on enough about this series but since volume 3 its gotten soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fuckin’ good. The first three volumes are fun but the end of 3 was a game changer and then 4-5-6-7-8 all been excellent and top notch. This volume tied up some loose ends and gave Emp a huge win. My favorite superhero comic and my favorite ongoing comic.