This is it. Last 2016 list. No moving on…
2. Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko!-The story of a girl who has been friendzoned by her best friend, who is a guy she’s in love with. Funny stuff. Read 400 strips in like an entire night. This links to an unofficial translation, there is no official release.
1. Sunstone-The BDSM romance comic was the must read all year. Waiting anxiously for Stjepan Sejic to continue with his follow up so I can have more of this world.
5. Green Arrow Rebirth #1
4. Dark Jem from Jem and the Holograms #11-16
3. Archie #5
2. Rachel Rising #42-The finale of the epic horror comic has Rachel confront the person who killed her. Also, amazing ending.
1. Betty: RIP Part 5 Interlude with Josie and the Pussycats from Afterlife with Archie #10-The story of the rise of Josie and Pussycats. Except their vampires.
5. Brian K. Vaughn for Saga and Paper Girls
4. Grant Morrison for Wonder Woman: Earth One and Klaus
3. Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa for Afterlife with Archie and Sabrina
2. Stjepan Sejic for Sunstone, Switch-Mainly for Sunstone as Switch barely came out, but damned if those issues weren’t fun. Hoping he finally gets that trade out.
1. Greg Rucka for Wonder Woman, Lazarus, Black Magick-WW is one of my fave DC books, Lazarus my favorite comic book, and Black Magick I’m wiating for to return cause it was getting good. Rucka was killing it in 2016 and with a 4th book for 2017, he’s the man I expect to be my fave. (Unless Empowered totally kills it again…)
5. Otto Schmidt for Green Arrow
4. Yusuke Murata for One Punch Man
3. Yanick Paquette for Wonder Woman: Earth One
2. Sophie Campbell for Jem and the Holograms-The reason I bought the book and watched the original cartoon on Netflix. Plus she dropped two of my fave covers of the year. And there were great covers!
1. Stjepan Sejic for Sunstone, Switch-Really, Stjepan is one of the best working. Beautiful stuff.
Favorite Comic Book Covers
10. Deathstroke #5 by ACO
9. Wonder Woman Rebirth #1 by Liam Sharp
8. Sabrina #8 by Robert Hack
7. Revival #39 by Fiona Staples
6. Detective Comics #944 variant by Rafael Albuquerque
5. Deathstroke #3 variant by Shane Davis
4. Jem and the Holograms #16 by Sophie Campbell
3. Green Lanterns #11 variant by Emanuela Lupacchino
2. Afterlife with Archie #10 by Francesco Francavilla
1. Jem and the Holograms #13 by Sophie Campbell
Favorite Continuing Series
10. All New Wolverine by Tom Taylor & Collaborators-I don’t read much Marvel, but when I do, its probably All New Wolverine. Laura > Logan.
9. My Love Story-A twist on shoujo manga. Large, muscled, kind hearted Takeo saves cute Rinka from a groper, they become a couple. Sweet series of the gentle giant and his cute, soft spoken girlfriend and their friends.
8. Saga by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples-Come on, you really should know about the most acclaimed scifi epic comic of our time.
7. Shutter by Joe Keating, Leila Del Duca and Owen Gieni-The urban fantasy adventure series of Kate Kristopher and her screwed up family. This one will be wrapping up soon and trust me, its worth it.
6. One Punch Man by ONE and Yusuke Murata-The best selling superhero comic in the world. The adventures of Saitama, a hero so strong he ends a fight with one punch. Him, his cyborg friend Genos and others battle evil deeds and get into various misadventures in between.
5. TIE: Deathstroke by Priest and Collaborators, Green Arrow by Ben Percy and Collaborators-Two of my favorite DC books at the moment. I’d say I’m a little more into Deathstroke but that might be the recent issue. Anyway Deathstroke continues being an asshole and we get a great glimpse into his screwy family including my fave Rose the Ravager. Green Arrow is the bets I’ve read in… A long time.
4. Wonder Woman by Greg Rucka, Liam Sharp, Nicola Scott and Collaborators-Taking a slight lead with DC superhero books is Wonder Woman thanks to the clever planning of having the even and odd number issues of this bi-weekly being different stories. Makes the book a bit more consistent artistically. I dig both stories, maybe the Year One a bit better.
3. Archie by Mark Waid and Collabortators-Yes, Archie. This book is great. Well, most the time. And when its great its great. Though the mainstay character is a little less interesting than the ladies Betty, Veronica and now Cheryl. Is that how it always is?
2. Sunstone by Stjepan Sejic-I’ve sopken about this above, so real quick again-BUY THIS GREAT ROMANCE SERIES!
1. Lazarus by Greg Rucka, Michael Lark, Collaborators-The dystopian scifi series has been the must read for me everytime it drops. Maybe less so in 2017 with an actual dystopia starting… Anyway Forever Carlyle is the Lazarus of Carlyle family in a world where 16 families rule the world.